Automatic Melting Point Range Apparatus
The melting point of a crystalline solid is the temperature at which the solid to liquid phase transition occurs, referenced at one atmosphere (1 ATM) of pressure.
- Conforms to BP Appendix 5 - Method 6 and GLP specifications
- Readily interchanged between automatic and manual detection of melting point ranges
- Intelligent Lamp Intensity Control with Soft Start
- Storage capacity for up to 20 sample tests
- User-interactive software and data entry, including easy alphanumeric entry of sample name, ID number, and date
- User selectable operating modes:
- AUTO detection mode: Start/end of melting point range is automatically detected by a photosensing infrared device. The melting process is recorded and viewed on-screen in real-time by a CCD camera.
- MANUAL detection mode: Start/end of melting point range can be selected manually with a key-press by user. Sample melting point can be determined as per BP method by ‘Heat & Cool’ temperature function.
- As above, the melting process is recorded and viewed on-screen in real-time by a CCD camera.
The Automatic Melting Point Apparatus is the latest technology for microprocessor-based determinations of melting point ranges of crystalline, powdered and polymeric materials, and is used to assess sample purity. Requires approximately 5mg of sample spread uniformly on a glass slide, covered with a glass coverslip. The slide is placed on a uniformly heated, round furnace and subjected to a heating profile as required by the user. Precise temperature control gives reproducible results to within 1%. The unit contains an automatic temperature safety cut-off feature if no melting points are detected 15°C above the expected melting point or if the oven reaches 315°C. The melting process is magnified, recorded, and viewed on-screen in real-time by a CCD camera. The change in physical appearance of the sample with respect to temperature is recorded, and the start/end of melting is observed automatically. A representation of the entire process can be printed out in graphical form for validation.
Conforms to the specifications of:
BP Appendix 5-Method 6; GLP
10x magnified displayed on monitor
Temperature Range: ambient + 5 to 315°C
Heating Rates: 0.2, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 6.0, 12.0°C/min
Temperature Readability: 0.1°C
Cooling Time: 20 minutes (300°C to ambient)
±0.5°C (ambient + 5 to 200°C)
±0.8°C (200 to 315°C)
Sample size: 5 mg (approximately)
- Glass Slide ≤1mm ±0.02mm thick
Sample Cover: Glass Coverslip ±0.17mm thick
Temperature Sensor: Pt-100 (2 wire RTD)
Test Storage: Up to 20 tests with parameters
115V, 60Hz, Single Phase
220V, 50Hz, Single Phase
Main Unit: 161⁄2x121⁄4x13 (42x31x33)
Monitor: 8x51⁄2x51⁄2 (20x14x14)
Net Weight: 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
Shipping Weight: 30 lbs (13.6 kg)
Dimensions: 24x20x18 in. (61.0x50.8x45.7 cm)
- K90100-1 Glass slides (pack of 500)
- K90100-2 Cover slips (pack of 1000)
- K90100-3 Sampling jig