The Koehler Halogen Analyzer consists of a manual or automatic sample feed, a two-stage furnace unit and a microcoulometric titration device. A combination of a quick-heating and programmable IR furnace and a constant-temperature reduction furnace ensure the complete, residue-free combustion of the samples in the oxygen flow. The combustion gases then enter the coulometric detection unit for analysis. Control of the overall system and measurement data evaluation is by means of user-friendly software.
The procedures in this test method cover the determination of organic chloride (above 1 μg/g organically-bound chlorine) in crude oils, using either distillation and sodium biphenyl reduction, distillation and microcoulometry, or distillation and x-ray fluorescence (XRF) spectrometry.
The procedures in this test method involve the distillation of crude oil test specimens to obtain a naphtha fraction prior to chloride determination. The chloride content of the naphtha fraction of the whole crude oil can thereby be obtained. See Section 5 regarding potential interferences.
Procedure A covers the determination of organic chloride in the washed naphtha fraction of crude oil by sodium biphenyl reduction followed by potentiometric titration.
Procedure B covers the determination of organic chloride in the washed naphtha fraction of crude oil by oxidative combustion followed by microcoulometric titration.
Procedure C covers the determination of organic chloride in the washed naphtha fraction of crude oil by x-ray fluorescence spectrometry.
- The unique furnace unit of the Koehler Halogen Analyzer consists of a programmable IR furnace with extremely fast heating and cooling rates and coolant-free cooling by means of heat pipes as well as a downstream reduction furnace with a constant temperature
- The sliding cover of the furnace chamber makes this easily observable and accessible: the condition of the combustion tube can be assessed at any time without dismantling
- The heated gas outlet line prevents water condensation. This prevents halogen entrainment and guarantees exact series of measurements. A safety valve protects the furnace against sulfuric acid. Easy dismantling and cleaning
- A closed detection unit offers the discerning user the possibility of tempering and greater safety at work
- Results can be transmitted to LIMS systems
- Quickly ready for use and low maintenance costs
Coulometric Titration Units
All of the Coulometric Titration Units from Koehler offer:
Microcoulometric determination with a 3 electrode system.
• Heated gas outlet line.
• Potentiometric end point determination impedance converter mounted directly on the combination electrode, no interference during transmission of the measurement signal.
Both a closed and open titration stand configuration are available. The closed titration stand allows safe placement of the electrolysis cell, extraction and scouring of the waste gas, and tempered titration cell. The open stand allows the titration cell and gas line to be seen by the user at all times and provides a direct view of the detection unit.
Automatic Sample Changer
• Turntable for up to 52 containers with membrane filters.
• Automatic transfer of the samples into the combustion boat.
Conforms to ASTM D4929 and related specifications
AOX: up to 200mL aqueous sample
EOX: 10μL - 500μL injection volume
TX: solids max. 1g depending on material
Measurement Range: 0.1 – 300 μg Cl abs.
Precision: < 1% relative
Measurement Time: 5 – 10min depending on halogen content
Titration Current: 2 – 450 μA
- Oxygen 99.95%
- Argon 99.95% for EOX
- Consumption each approx. 10 – 12 L/hr
Maximum Temperature: 1000°C
- Up to 5 independently programmable temperature gradient and duration intervals
Temperature Range: 20 to 1000°C
230V 50Hz 20A